Bedrooms and under occupancy

Advice and support

There are also lots of organisations who offer free, independent advice about rent difficulties and may be able to advise you on how to maximise your benefits, as well as tell you about any additional benefits you may be able to claim. They may also be able to assist you with filling out the forms and ensuring that any claims are not held up by incomplete paperwork.

These organisations include:

  • Shelter offers face-to-face, phone, email and online advice about any housing problems (not just homelessness). You can call 0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).
  • Citizens Advice Bureau offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone. Some also offer home visits, and some give email advice. You can call 03444 111 444. TextRelay users should call 03444 111 445.
  • The National Debtline is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt. You can get information online or by calling the free helpline: 0808 808 4000.

There are lots more handy hints and tips about organisations who can help you on our sister website, Mange your money

For further advice and guidance, email the housing benefit team or call 01543 308900.

You can also get advice and guidance from:

  • You can also get more information at
  • Contact your housing association to discuss your options - if you are affected by the change, we recommend you talk to your housing association about the changes and your possible options.