Appeal a housing benefits decision

How to dispute a decision

Once we have explained how the decision was arrived at, if you still disagree, you can ask us to look at your claim again and a different benefits officer will assess your claim.

They will look at your claim and will write to you with their conclusions. If the decision is changed, you can either accept this, or you can appeal our decision.

To dispute a decision, please write to us telling us, within one calendar month. Please include all the reasons and evidence to support why you think it is wrong.

Either email us at or write to:

Revenues and Benefits Services, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, WS13 6YX

If you need help to do this, you can contact our benefits team or, if you prefer, an external organisation such as the Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help you.

You can also appoint a representative to act on your behalf. If you do want to appoint a representative, you must provide us with written authorisation signed by you.

What if I don't contact you within one month?

If you don't contact us within one month after the date of a decision, we still may be able to help you if there were special circumstances that prevented you from contacting us on time.

These could be a death, a serious illness, absence abroad, a postal strike or some other special circumstance. Please let us know the special circumstances when you contact us.