Lost, found and stray dogs
What we do with found/stray dogs
When we pick up stray dogs we check them for any form of identity, such as a dog tag, microchip or tattoo.
- If we can identify the dog/owner, we will contact them straight away to return the dog.
- If we can't identify the dog/owner, we will search our lost dog register. If a report matches the description of the dog, we will contact the person who reported it as lost.
- If we can't identify the dog/owner, and the dog is not on the lost dog register, by law, we must keep all stray dogs found in Lichfield District for at least seven days. After this time, the dog becomes the property of the council. After which, if an owner has not come forward, we take it to Crowfoot Kennels, where every effort is made to find a new home for it.
In order to collect a dog from the Crowfoot Kennels, you will have to pay a fee:
- If the dog is tagged or microchipped, there is a collection charge of £20, plus any kennelling costs and veterinary fees incurred.
- If dog has no identification, there is a £25 charge, plus any kennelling costs and veterinary fees incurred.