Sponsoring Ukrainians - guidance
Register your interest to be a sponsor
Register your interest with the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC). On receipt, DLUHC will contact you. You should make your own arrangements to be matched with a guest from Ukraine before supporting the submission of a visa application to the Home Office.
Checks to be undertaken
We must welcome families to Staffordshire safely, in a way that protects everyone from harm by making sure we have the checks and safeguards in place for both those fleeing the conflict and those opening their homes to strangers.
To help us achieve this, we will be undertaking a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check as well as undertaking checks against information we hold about you, including through children’s and adult social care. We will also be undertaking a visit is to ensure your accommodation and living arrangements are suitable for your guests.
During your property visit:
- We will check the sponsor details and those of any Ukrainian guests.
- An inspection of internal living areas will be completed to ensure:
- Smoke alarms are fitted in appropriate locations on each floor and working when tested.
- Carbon monoxide alarms fitted in every room with a solid fuel appliance and working when tested.
- A gas safety certificate (if gas is used in the property) is available and dated within the last 12 months.
- The electrics that appear safe (no exposed cables or excessive use of extensions etc.)
- The property has sufficient heating and hot water.
- Rooms are of adequate size to accommodate the sponsor and their guest(s).
- Facilities for cooking and cleaning are adequate.
- Bathroom(s) are adequate.
- The property is almost entirely free from damp and mould.
- The property is secure.
Please allow our visiting officer access to all areas of your property.
If the property is to be for the sole use of the guests, without a live-in sponsor, then more detailed checks will be required.
‘Thank you’ payments
To be eligible for a ‘thank you’ payment, the sponsorship must be carried out under the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
If you have guests arriving under the Ukraine Family Scheme, you are not eligible for any payment.
You have the option to receive a monthly payment of £350 paid in arrears, for up to 12 months, as long as you are hosting your guests and that the accommodation provided is of a suitable standard.
You will be eligible for the first monthly payment once you have received a confirmation letter from the county council. Guests must be in situ at your property for at least one month for the payment to be made. If your guests leave before the end of the 12 months, your payments will stop.
If you receive welfare payments, the government has made assurances that ‘thank you’ payments will not affect benefit entitlements. ‘Thank you’ payments will also not affect any council tax discounts for single occupancy.
Payments will be tax free. Following the completion of the above checks, we will make contact to outline the next steps for payments.
Ending the sponsorship early
If for any reason you need to end the sponsorship arrangement early, you should inform Staffordshire County Council by email.
If your guests require emergency housing, please advise them to register on Housing Jigsaw.