Noise complaints

We look into complaints about noise that could be a statutory nuisance (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).

For noise to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of your property
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

If we agree a statutory nuisance is happening or will happen in the future, we serve an abatement notice. This requires whoever’s responsible to stop or restrict the noise. The notice will usually be served on the person responsible but can also be served on the owner or occupier of the premises.

The abatement notice can be delayed for up to seven days while we try to get the person responsible to stop or restrict the noise.

We are responsible for looking into complaints about noise from:

Statutory noise nuisance laws don’t apply to noise from:

  • traffic or planes (they do apply to model planes)
  • political demonstrations and demonstrations about a cause
  • premises occupied by the armed forces or visiting forces
  • Road traffic or noise from trains

Guidance says that loud work, such as building work, should only take place from Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 7pm and on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm. Noisy work should cease on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Make a noise complaint