We have developed a range of strategies and policies to respond to the housing needs of our district.
Our housing and homelessness strategy
Our housing and homelessness strategy details our main priorities and actions to meet the housing needs of the district. It is published every few years and our current strategy covers the years 2019-2024. This strategy also incorporates our homelessness strategy, a document that is required by law, which sets out how we plan to prevent and relieve homelessness in Lichfield District.
Download our latest housing strategy which was approved by full council in June 2020.
For further information on the housing strategy, please email our housing team or call 01543 308231 or 308706.
Under the Localism Act 2011 we have a duty to produce a tenancy strategy which sets out our response to the changes to affordable housing tenures introduced through the act.
Our tenancy strategy was approved in May 2012. It sets out how we would like housing associations in our district to respond to the changes made by the Localism Act including:
- the new affordable rent product
- the use of flexible/fixed term tenancies
- the housing register and the potential to make changes to the allocations criteria
Download a copy of our tenancy strategy
Housing assistance policy
Many residents have the resources to maintain and repair their own homes. However, some may need help, especially residents who are elderly, on a low income or have disabilities.
This policy details the grants available and who is eligible to apply.
We currently have the following assistance available:
- Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grants – these grants are available to help a disabled person live safely and as independently as possible in their home. In order to qualify for these grants, they must meet the eligibility criteria detailed in the policy.
- Discretionary Disabled Facilities Grants – we have a number of grants available for people with disabilities in addition to the mandatory grants we offer, including help with moving costs if your current home cannot be adapted to your needs.
- Energy Efficiency Grants - these grants are to help you reduce your fuel bills and keep your home warm.
Details of the grants available and the eligibility criteria are in our Housing Assistance Policy 2021.
Download our housing assistance policy 2021
Approved providers policy
This policy sets out how we will approve housing associations (also called registered providers) for new housing development opportunities across the district and how we will work together to deliver new affordable homes across the district.
Download our approved providers policy
A council’s allocations policy or lettings scheme is a document which explains:
- who can apply for social housing in their district
- who is given priority on the housing register
- how properties are offered to people
Our lettings scheme ensures that all social housing within Lichfield District is allocated fairly and objectively to those in greatest housing need, having regard to any legislative requirements, codes of guidance and regulations set by the government.