Local plan examination
We submitted the Lichfield local plan to the Planning Inspectorate on 30 June 2022 for independent examination.
About the local plan examination
The Planning Inspectorate has provided a short guide for those who might be participating in a local plan examination for the first time.
The Planning Inspectorate has also published a more detailed procedure guide for local plan examinations.
Inspector and programme officer
The Secretary of State has appointed two planning inspectors to carry out an independent examination of the Lichfield local plan:
- Inspector J Gilbert MA (Hons) MTP MRTPI
- Inspector D McCreery MA BA (Hons) MRTPI
The inspectors' task is to consider the soundness of the submitted plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 35 of the national planning policy framework (the framework).
The relevant soundness criteria are whether the local plan is:
- Positively prepared: providing a strategy which, as a minimum, seeks to meet the area’s objectively assessed needs; and is informed by agreements with other authorities, so that unmet need from neighbouring areas is accommodated where it is practical to do so and is consistent with achieving sustainable development;
- Justified: an appropriate strategy, taking into account the reasonable alternatives, and based on proportionate evidence;
- Effective: deliverable over the plan period, and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic matters that have been dealt with rather than deferred, as evidenced by the statement of common ground;
- Consistent with national policy: enabling the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in this framework and other statements of national planning policy, where relevant.
The inspectors will take into account the representations submitted upon the local plan as far as they relate to soundness considerations. A number of informal debates will take place on the principal matters identified by the inspectors. These are termed hearing sessions.
Following the closure of the examination, the inspectors will prepare a report to us with precise recommendations. These recommendations may include modifications to the plan, if we request it.
We have appointed Kerry Trueman as programme officer to assist the inspectors in carrying out their examination, and she will be the contact for the inspectors.
She is an independent officer of the examination and works on behalf of the inspectors to organise and manage the administrative and procedural elements of the examination process. All statements will also be submitted through her.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the inspectors should be submitted via the programme officer by email, calling 07582 310 364 or writing to:Kerry Trueman, Programme Officer Solutions Limited, Pendragon House, 1 Bertram Drive, Meols, Wirral CH47 0LG
All documents associated with the examination, including those submitted alongside the plan can be found in our evidence base area of the website.