My business is in a conservation area

Conservation areas are designed to protect the special architectural and historic interest from adverse development and encourage enhancement of the area wherever possible. If your business is based in a conservation area, you need to find out more about what this means for you, before you consider undertaking any work to the exterior of your business.

Is my business in a conservation area?

There are 21 designated conservation areas in Lichfield District, ranging from Alrewas through to Wiggington. Find out more.

Can I do work to my business?

Commercial properties within conservation areas have limited permitted development rights, therefore small works to your business premises may require planning permission. Within a conservation area the Council have a legal duty to grant planning permission only when the works would preserve or enhance the special character of the area. Works that may require planning permission can include changing windows and putting up new signage.

Does an Article 4 Direction affect me?

Legally local councils can work to protect conservation areas, by imposing tighter controls on changes to the outside of buildings facing a road or open space that could damage the character and appearance of the conservation area (under Article 4 Direction).

We do this by asking owners to get planning permission for certain types of development that would otherwise be automatically permitted. These generally affect residential properties however, there is an Article 4 direction in place in parts of Lichfield City Centre which covers the painting of the outside of a property. There is an approved palette of colours and if you want to paint your building another colour then you may need to apply for planning permission. Contact the Conservation and Urban Design Team for more information.

Who to contact

If your business is based in a conservation area that is affected by Article 4 Directions, please contact our team on 01543 308188 or email for advice and guidance.