CIL exemptions, relief and exceptional circumstances

Social housing relief

Relief from the levy is available for those dwellings and communal areas that are either let in specified tenancies by a private registered provider of social housing, or a registered social landlord, or a local housing authority, or are occupied under specified shared ownership arrangements.

The details of qualifying dwellings are specified in Regulation 49 of the Community Infrastructure Regulations 2010 (as amended). Anyone wishing to claim relief must follow the procedures set down in the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended), and the claim must be made using the standard CIL ‘Form 2: Claiming Exemption of Relief’ on the Planning Portal website.