Lighting new developments

If you are developing residential or business scheme in the district, your lighting design will require planning permission if it:

  • is a large scale engineering operation and requires specialist lighting engineers,
  • is a scheme that illuminates a large area, such as a football or tennis court,
  • requires listed building consent.

It will not require planning permission if it only affects the interior of the building or does not significantly alter the outside of the building. This is generally the case for most residential work, such as outdoor security lights etc.

However, it is always best that you consult with the planning team before carrying out any works, so they can give you advice and guidance.

Our environmental health team have also prepared guidance on external artificial lighting, which gives tips on how to avoid the most common types of light pollution.