Planning appeals and judicial reviews

Judicial reviews

If you are a neighbour or third party, and you are unhappy with a decision made by an officer (through delegated powers) or by planning committee, unfortunately you have no right of appeal.

You can however seek a judicial review through the planning courts

The process for bringing a judicial review is time-sensitive - you must file a claim with the court usually within six weeks of the decision. 

We also recommend you first seek independent legal guidance (find a lawyer), as the process can be both lengthy and costly and it is vital you are fully advised and aware of what is involved before embarking on this action.

It is worth noting that the focus of a judicial review is to consider the legality of how a decision was made by a public body - it does not review the merits of a decision.