Planning appeals and judicial reviews

Judicial reviews

If you are a neighbour and you are unhappy with a decision made by an officer (through delegated powers) or by planning committee, unfortunately you have no right of appeal.

You can seek a judicial review through the planning courts. The process for bringing a judicial review is time-sensitive - you must file a claim with the court usually within six weeks of the decision. We also recommend you first seek independent legal guidance, as the process can be both lengthy and costly and it is vital you are fully advised and aware of what is involved before embarking on this action.

It is worth noting that the focus of a judicial review is to consider the legality of how a decision was made by a public body - it does not review the merits of a decision. 

Planning appeals for applicants

If you have submitted a planning application and it is not decided within a set period (usually eight weeks), or you get a decision that you disagree with, you have a right to appeal.

Appeals are made to the Secretary of State in England and all appeals are administered by the Planning Inspectorate.

Even when an appeal has been lodged we are willing, where appropriate, to see whether an acceptable solution can be achieved by submitting a new application.

Contact our development control team by emailing if you would like to discuss the option.

This section provides more information on the appeal process for applicants.