Please fill in this form to apply for or renew a taxi driver licence. To find out how much a licence costs, view our fees. Before you start, please read our guidance notes.
Before you start, please make sure you have the following information ready:
- Your national insurance number
- Your eight digit DVLA check code
- Your UK driving licence
- A digital passport style photograph you can upload
- Your DBS certificate number (if you are signed up to DBS update service)
- The expiry date on your CHC medical certificate (for renewals only - if your certificate is still valid)
- Your credit or debit card
About the DVLA check code
To get your eight digit DVLA code visit www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence and enter your driver number. This is the 16 digit string of numbers/letters found at field 5 of your UK plastic card driving licence. You will also need your national insurance number and postcode, as it appears on your driving licence.
About the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service
You must have a DBS certificate and be signed up to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service.
Even if you have had a DBS check in the past (perhaps for your current licence), unless you signed up to the DBS update service within 30 days of receiving your certificate, you will have to undergo a new DBS check as part of this application. The DBS check costs £50.50 and we will take payment for this as part of the online form, and send you further instructions. Once you receive your certificate, you need to sign up directly through the government website for the DBS update service within 30 days. Find out more.
If you are signed up to the DBS update service, you will need to enter your DBS certificate number. The number starts with 00.
About your right to work in the UK
You must provide original copies of your right to work in the UK, even if you are a UK citizen. After you have submitted your application, we will ask you to visit our offices to show us your evidence. If you are renewing your licence, we may not ask to see your evidence again.
If you are a new applicant, you will be required to take a driving assessment which costs £69. Payment will be taken as part of this form. Once you have applied, your details will be passed to Staffordshire County Council who will arrange the driving assessment directly with you.
As part of your application you must undergo a medical check to show you are fit to drive.
- If you are a new applicant/need a new medical check, a payment of £55 will be taken as part of this form. Once you have submitted your application, we will send you a letter that explains how to arrange your assessment.
- If you are renewing a Lichfield District Council licence, and your medical certificate is less than three years old, and nothing has changed that could affect your ability to drive, you will not be required to undertake a further medical check until your certificate expires.
About your residential history
If you have lived outside the UK in the past five years, for six months or more, we will need to see a ‘certificate of good character’ from the relevant embassy/country - find out more. Once you have submitted your online application we will ask you to visit our offices to show us your certificate.