Road closure request form

We can temporarily close some district roads and streets to vehicles, if they are likely to be very busy with pedestrians – for example for a festival, street party, parade or fun run.

We will not approve overnight road closures and we may also refer applications that require the closure of major roads, or where the disruption will be prolonged and widespread, to Staffordshire County Council. If you require a road closure over multiple days, please state the start and finish time on each day you require the road closure for.

About applying

Please fill in this form at least three months before your event is due to take place. If your event is less than three months away, please email before applying to check whether we can still consider your application.

There is no fee to apply for a road closure.

As soon as we receive your application, we will work with our partners, including the police. We will keep you informed as to the progress of your application. We may also ask you for further information.

About notifying residents and businesses

It is your responsibility to notify residents and local businesses that might be affected by your planned road closure. We recommend you do this as soon as possible, and even before you apply. If approved we will email you a road closure notice poster and instructions on how to print and display them. It is your responsibility to put up the posters (following our instructions) on the affected streets at least 14 days before of the event.

About safety

If approved, it will be your responsibility to ensure the event is managed safely. You will need to put together a traffic management and event management plan - download our template and guidance. If your event is considered a major event, you will also be asked to cooperate with our safety advisory group (SAG).

About street trading

If you plan to trade or offer street-based pitches to traders as part of your event, you will need to find out about street trading licences. Applying for street trading licences is a separate process to applying for a road closure.

Please use this form to request a road closure in Lichfield District. As part of this form, we will ask you for your email address and telephone number. This is so we can contact you in regards to your request.