Premises licences

You will need to a premises licence if you want to sell alcohol (on or off licence), provide regulated entertainment such as films or plays, or late night refreshment (i.e, sell hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

You will also need a premises licence if you are running an event that can not be covered by a TENs - no more than 499 people at any one time – including staff running the event - and lasts longer than 168 hours/7 days.

All businesses and organisations selling or supplying alcohol, except for members clubs and certain community premises will also need to have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) named on their licence.

This section also contains information for community venues on how to remove the need (disapply) for a designated premises supervisor (DPS) by transferring the responsibility to the management of a board or committee of individuals.

If you believe a licensed premises/club is undermining one or more of the licensing objectives - causing crime and disorder issues, affecting public safety, creating a public nuisance, or causing harm to children, find out how to apply for a review of a licensed premises/club.

For more information download the licensing act government guidance or read our licensing policy.

Alcohol licensing (up until 30 September 2024) 

In response to COVID-19, the Licensing Act 2003 has been temporarily modified to provide an automatic extension to the terms of most premises licences to allow the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises. The new off-sales permission will permit off-sales to be made at a time when the licensed premises are open for the purposes of selling alcohol for consumption on the premises, subject to a cut off time of 11pm or the closure time of an existing outside area, whichever is earlier. More guidance can be found on GOV.UK