Premises licences

You will need to a premises licence if you want to sell alcohol (on or off licence), provide regulated entertainment such as films or plays, or late night refreshment (i.e, sell hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

You will also need a premises licence if you are running an event that can not be covered by a TENs - no more than 499 people at any one time – including staff running the event - and lasts longer than 168 hours/7 days.

All businesses and organisations selling or supplying alcohol, except for members clubs and certain community premises will also need to have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) named on their licence.

This section also contains information for community venues on how to remove the need (disapply) for a designated premises supervisor (DPS) by transferring the responsibility to the management of a board or committee of individuals.

If you believe a licensed premises/club is undermining one or more of the licensing objectives - causing crime and disorder issues, affecting public safety, creating a public nuisance, or causing harm to children, find out how to apply for a review of a licensed premises/club.

For more information download the licensing act government guidance or read our licensing policy.