Bedrooms and under occupancy
If you are of working age, live in a council or housing association home, and claim housing benefits you are entitled to housing benefit to cover one bedroom for:
- every adult couple (married or unmarried)
- any other adult aged 16 or over
- any two children of the same sex aged under 16
- any two children aged under 10
- a carer (or team of carers) who provide overnight care
- any other child*
*If you foster a child, or look after a child whose main home is elsewhere, the child will not be included when assessing the number of bedrooms you require.
Some worked examples
So, for example a couple or single parent:
- with no children will need one bedroom.
- with one child will need two bedrooms.
- with a boy and girl aged under 10 will need two bedrooms.
- with a boy and girl aged 11 and 15 will need three bedrooms.
- with two boys aged 11 and 15 will need two bedrooms.
- with two boys aged 13 and 16 will need three bedrooms.