Apply for a disabled Blue Badge
Blue Badges are for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind. The scheme allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go on streets and in council owned car parks. Find out how to apply or see if you might be eligible using the links below.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Blue Badge if you:
- are severely sight impaired or blind
- are terminally ill
- receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more under the 'Moving Around' area of your assessment
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the 'planning and following journeys' area of your assessment. Descriptor E states the applicant is unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- have been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme
- are a regular driver and have severe upper limb disabilities in both arms and you are unable to operate or have some difficulty operating, all or some types of parking meter *
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult * which may include very considerable psychological distress
- are at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person
- you struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
- you find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
- you regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- you frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
* You may need to be assessed for eligibility.
How to apply
You can apply online using Staffordshire County Council's website. You'll need the following details to complete the online form:
- National Insurance Number
- driving licence number
- a digital passport style photo
- the details on your current badge, if you have one
If you are unable to make your application online, Lichfield Connects will assist. This service is appointment only and can be booked using our online form. Appointments can take up to one hour. A debit card payment of £10 is required at time of application along with relevant proof documentation.
How to renew
Anyone wishing to renew a Blue Badge should complete the online application form.
Can I park on streets?
Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours, but not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading - indicated by yellow kerb dashes and/or signs on plates.
The only restriction on this rule is in the pedestrianised zone covering Lichfield city centre. Within this area Blue Badge holders are permitted to enter and park, but only within the designated bays and parking within these bays is limited to three hours. Parking on any other part of the street within the zone is not permitted and may result in the issue of a penalty ticket.
You can also apply for a disabled parking bay outside of a residential property - you can apply on the Staffordshire County Council website.
Can I park in car parks?
All Lichfield District Council owned car parks have reserved bays for blue badge users and badge holders can park free of charge for as long as required in these bays.
If there are no disabled bays available (for example, at busy times), Blue Badge holders may park in any other bay and the free of charge concession will still apply.
Parking anywhere else other than in a parking bay, such as on an access road or loading area, is not permitted within our car parks.