Apply for a disabled Blue Badge
Blue Badges are for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind. The scheme allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go on streets and in council owned car parks. Find out how to apply or see if you might be eligible using the links below.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Blue Badge if you:
- are registered blind
- receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- have received a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8) and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or walking is very difficult*
- drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters*
How to apply
You can apply online using Staffordshire County Council's website. You'll need the following details to complete the online form:
- National Insurance Number
- driving licence number
- a digital passport style photo
- the details on your current badge, if you have one
How to renew
Anyone wishing to renew a Blue Badge should complete the online application form.
Can I park on streets?
Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours, but not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading - indicated by yellow kerb dashes and/or signs on plates.
The only restriction on this rule is in the pedestrianised zone covering Lichfield city centre. Within this area Blue Badge holders are permitted to enter and park, but only within the designated bays and parking within these bays is limited to three hours. Parking on any other part of the street within the zone is not permitted and may result in the issue of a penalty ticket.
You can also apply for a disabled parking bay outside of a residential property - you can apply on the Staffordshire County Council website.
Can I park in car parks?
All Lichfield District Council owned car parks have reserved bays for blue badge users and badge holders can park free of charge for as long as required in these bays.
If there are no disabled bays available (for example, at busy times), Blue Badge holders may park in any other bay and the free of charge concession will still apply.
Parking anywhere else other than in a parking bay, such as on an access road or loading area, is not permitted within our car parks.