Apply for council tax support

Get your evidence ready before you apply

image of money
Apply for help with your council tax bill

To claim council tax support you will need to provide scans, photos or photocopies of a range of evidence, including:

  • Two forms of identity, such as passport and driving licence (for you and your partner – if applicable)*
  • Documents showing your national insurance number, such as a payslip, P60 or benefits letter (for you and your partner – if applicable)*.
  • Evidence of child benefit you receive for your children, such as a bank statement or award letter.
  • Birth certificate for any child under the age of 5.
  • Evidence of income for any non-dependant person(s) living with you
  • Student certificate (available from your education provider) and evidence of any student bursary, grant or loan.
  • Payslips for any paid employment.
  • Accounts for any self-employment that shows a summary of your income and expenditure.
  • Details of any other income you receive.
  • Details of child care costs – such as invoice or a letter from your childcare provider.
  • Evidence of all capital (held by you and your partner – if applicable) – such as bank statements.

*You do not have to provide evidence of you/your partner’s national insurance number and two forms of identity if you have provided it to us as part of a previous claim, or if you receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income support
  • Income-related employment support allowance
  • Income-based jobseekers allowance
  • Pension credit
  • Universal credit

You do not need to send us evidence of the following benefits, as we are able to verify these with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP):

  • Attendance allowance
  • Bereavement benefit
  • Disability living allowance
  • Employment support allowance
  • Income support
  • Jobseekers allowance
  • Maternity allowance
  • Pension credit
  • Personal independence payments
  • State retirement pension
  • Tax credits (unless you receive child tax credit for 3 children or more)