Council tax bands and appeals

Appeal your banding

You can appeal against your banding, but please be aware that there are only a few occasions when taxpayers have successfully challenged their banding.

These include:

  • After demolition
  • Conversions of houses to flats
  • Physical changes in the locality affecting value and within six months of band change to your property made by the Listing Officer
  • A band change to a similar property to yours made by the court
  • Becoming a new taxpayer

Full details of how to appeal are contained in the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and Council Tax (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) Regulations 1993.

If you challenge your banding, please make sure you continue to pay your current council tax bill until any appeal is settled.

How to appeal your banding

All banding appeal must be submitted to the Valuation Office Agency.

Further information is available via their website - Valuation Office Agency. If you are unable to use their online service, Please contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501 501.

Find out more about the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).