Care and nursing homes

Nursing care funded by the National Health Service

If you live in a care home that provides nursing care, the National Health Service (NHS) would normally contribute £108.70 per week towards the fees.

Some people will have the full cost of their care paid for by the NHS - this is called continuing health care. People who qualify for this type of care usually need ongoing specialist medical treatment on a regular basis.

Hospital staff, or your local doctor (GP), can help arrange an assessment if you think you qualify.

If you disagree with the decision made after your assessment you can appeal.

If you are assessed as needing some regular nursing care you may receive a contribution towards your care home fees from the NHS.