Traveller & gypsy sites

Most gypsies and travellers living in caravans or mobile homes live on authorised sites:

  • council owned sites
  • privately owned sites that have a licence

An unauthorised site or encampment is where people set up home on land without the landowner's permission. This can be private or local authority land.

It is the landowner's responsibility to deal with an unauthorised encampment on their land. 

Therefore we will usually only respond to concerns about encampments on council-owned land.