Traveller & gypsy sites

Guidance for private landowners

If the encampment is on private land, it is usually the landowner's responsibility to evict them.

We can however advise landowners of the process to do this, however it is not our responsibility to address the issue of encampments on private land. 

  • If you are the landowner, we advise you to talk to members of the encampment first to see if a leaving date can be agreed. 
  • If you choose to evict the gypsies/travellers you will need to take legal advice which will likely lead to proceedings in the county court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a court order for their eviction. There must be a minimum of two clear days between service of documents and the court hearing. 
  • If you decide to temporarily or permanently let the gypsies/travellers stay on your land, please be aware you could be in breach of planning or caravan licensing laws if you do not already have permission and a relevant site licence. 
  • If you breach of any planning or licence requirements and do not take action to evict the gypsies/travellers, we may take proceedings against you to require removal of the illegal encampment.

Police involvement

Call the police on 101 to report unlawful and anti-social behaviour, but not trespass.

The police will deal with crime when there is a complaint and evidence to support it. You'll need to provide written evidence and agree to support any prosecution.

Criminal or anti-social behaviour will speed up any eviction process as it is not tolerated in government policy.

If you need guidance please contact our customer services team on 01543 308000 weekdays, Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm (not including bank holidays) or email