Holiday caravan/camp/touring site licence

If you want to run a holiday caravan/camp/touring site in Lichfield District you will need a site licence. 

  • It is a criminal offence to operate a site without a licence.
  • You will need planning permission before you can get a licence.
  • You must also pay business rates.
  • Having planning permission and paying business rates does not legally allow you to occupy the site - you must also have a licence.
  • There is no fee for a holiday caravan/camp/touring site licence.

You do not need a licence if:

  • the caravan(s) is sited within the boundary of an existing home and is being used by personally by the home owners. If the caravan(s) is rented out you will need a licence.
  • the site is 5 or more acres and there are 3 or less caravans there for 28 days or less a year.
  • you’re a member of an organisation like a caravan club and have a caravan exemption certificate.
  • you’re a member of an organisation (like the scouts) and have an exemption certificate.
  • your site is approved by an organisation with a caravan exemption certificate.
  • members of an exempted organisation stay in their caravans on the site.
  • your site is used for a social get-together of caravan club members (a rally).
  • forestry workers, builders, travelling showmen or seasonal workers (like fruit pickers) stay in caravans on the site, which are removed at the end of the season. A residential site licence is required if the caravans remain on site permanently.

If your site is a residential or part residential site (as in people live permanently in caravans/mobile homes on your site all year round), please find out about residential site licences.

It is a criminal offence to occupy a site without a licence. You may be fined up to £2,500 if you don’t get a licence or break any of your licence conditions. Your licence may also be withdrawn if you repeatedly break your licence conditions.