Caravan site licence

If you want to run a caravan site in Lichfield District you will probably need a licence.

You don’t need a licence if:

  • the site is 5 or more acres and there are 3 or less caravans there for 28 days or less a year.
  • you’re a member of an organisation like a caravan club and have a caravan exemption certificate.
  • you’re a member of an organisation (like the Scouts) and have an exemption certificate.
  • your site is approved by an organisation with a caravan exemption certificate.
  • members of an exempted organisation stay in their caravans on the site.
  • your site is used for a social get-together of caravan club members (a rally).
  • forestry workers, builders, travelling showmen or seasonal workers (like fruit pickers) stay in caravans on the site.

You will also need planning permission before you can get a licence. Having planning permission does not legally allow you to occupy the site, and neither does payment of council tax - you must also have a licence.

As part of your licence, we may put conditions on you including:

  • how the site should be laid out.
  • how many caravans are allowed.
  • what toilet and washing facilities should be provided.
  • we may change licence conditions at any time, but we will discuss any changes with you.

You may be fined up to £2,500 if you don’t get a licence or break any of your licence conditions. Your licence may be withdrawn if you repeatedly break your licence conditions.