Residential mobile home site licences and rules

Residential mobile homes sites*, and mixed sites with residential and holiday mobile homes, need to be licensed under the Mobile Homes Act 2013.

We often attach conditions to licences that are designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of residents and cover things like drainage and distances between mobile homes.

If site licence conditions aren’t met, we can take enforcement action which includes the serving of compliance or fixed penalty notices.

You will need planning permission before you can get a licence. It's important to note, having planning permission does not legally allow you to occupy the site, and neither does payment of council tax - you must also have a licence.

For residents selling or buying a residential mobile home, rules are in place. To find out more, visit the government website (

Apply for a site licence

*You don’t need a licence if the site is for forestry workers, builders, travelling showmen or seasonal workers (like fruit pickers) who stay in caravans on a site.