Public transport

Disabled access

If you are disabled, getting around can sometimes be a challenge, especially if you're using public transport.

We hope we give you a few useful pointers that will make your journey that little bit less stressful.

Blue Badges

Blue Badges are for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind.

The scheme allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go on streets and in council owned car parks. 

Find out how to apply or see if you might be eligible.

Disabled parking bays in residential areas

Disabled parking bays are markings on the road outside of a property, to try and stop vehicles parking without displaying a Blue Badge.

You can apply for a disabled persons parking bay on Staffordshire County Council's website , but you'll need to meet the criteria they set out on their site.

Buses, coaches and metro

If you have a mobility difficulty and are travelling in the West Midlands,  Centro  can help you to plan your journey on buses, trains and coach services.

They have information to make your journey as easy as possible. Information is available in large print, audio tape, audio CD and Braille formats available by calling 0121 214 7125 or by email.

If you are registered disabled or blind, you may qualify for reduced or free bus travel within Staffordshire, for more information, visit Staffordshire Council's bus pass section 

National Express coach operators provide a disabled persons travel helpline that can be contacted on 0121 423 8479 or 0121 455 0086 for text phone users. You can also visit the National Express website for more information for disabled travellers .

For more information on bus travel for the disabled, you can visit the DPTAC website .


For longer distance rail journeys telephone the National Rail Enquiries 24 hours service on 03457 48 49 50, Minicom 0845 60 50 600.

You can find more information for disabled travellers on local train journeys on the Network West Midlands website .

You can also try the following online services:

If you are disabled and meet certain criteria, you may also be eligible for the Disabled Persons Railcard, which will allow you up to a third off the price of standard rail tickets. For more information and to find out how to apply, visit the Disabled Persons Railcard website .


Licensed hackney carriage vehicles (taxis) can be hailed on the street, picked up at ranks or pre-booked, but you can only pre-book private hire vehicles.

Wheelchair access

To find out if there are accessible vehicles near you, view a list of wheelchair accessible vehicles and the operating companies contact information email us about taxi licences, or call us on 01543 308725.

Assistance dogs

If you travel with an assistance dog they must be allowed into the taxi or private hire vehicle with you, unless the driver has an exemption certificate on display. This can be issued if they’ve got a medical condition made worse by contact with dogs.

A driver with an exemption certificate will have a notice of exemption on their vehicle windscreen.

It’s illegal to be charged extra to travel in a taxi or private hire vehicle with an assistance dog. Otherwise, the driver could be fined up to £1,000.

The following types of dog can be taken with you in taxis or private hire vehicles:

  • guide dogs trained by the Guide Dogs organisation
  • hearing dogs trained by Hearing Dogs
  • assistance dogs trained by Dogs for the Disabled, Support Dogs or Canine Partners.

Should you have any further questions, email us about taxi licences, or call us on 01543 308725.