Grit bins and road salting
Using a grit bin
If you want to grit your local roads or pavements, here are some handy tips from Staffordshire County Council:
- The material in grit bins is crushed rock salt, spread it carefully and give it time to work.
- It won't start to work immediately - it needs to be walked on/driven on before the ice and snow will start to melt.
- Depending on the amount of snow and ice, as little as 40 grams per square metre can be needed - that's the equivalent of a bag of sugar over 25 square metres, or the area of three typical sized family cars.
- Be careful not to spread salt on plants or grass, as it may cause them damage.
- For more information on how you can help yourself and your local community, take a look at Staffordshire County Council's snow code which gives advice on clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces.