Grit bins and road salting
Where are grit bins placed?
The placing of a grit bin on the highway is subject to an assessment being carried out and the location meeting the following criteria:
- Gradient greater than 10%.
- Severe bend.
- Close proximity to and falling towards heavily trafficked road.
- Traffic density at peak times.
- Number of premises for which the road is the only access.
- A substantial population of either disabled or elderly people.
Grit bin assessments are normally carried out at the end of the winter period.
Further information visit Staffordshire County Council's grit bin section.