Apply/renew a vehicle (hackney or private hire) licence

You will need a vehicle licence if you want to use a vehicle as a taxi (hackney carriage) or private hire vehicle.

Before you start, please make sure you have the following information ready:

  • Details of your vehicle including registration details/dates, make, model, colour and capacity.
  • Details of your car insurance, including a scan or photograph you can upload.
  • Details of any vehicle modifications and a scan or photograph of the relevant conversion certificate you can upload.
  • A photograph or scan your V5 log book
  • A photograph or scan of a valid certificate of compliance (provided by Terry Turner Autos Ltd)
  • From 4 April 2022 applicants will need to confirm they have completed a tax check and the 9 character tax check code must be provided as part of the application process

If for any reason you are unable to upload any documents, you can bring them in. If you are not in possession of any documents, we would advise you to wait until you are before you apply.

Payment is also taken online as part of the application. Please have your credit or debit card handy - find out more about the fees you will pay.

Please fill in this form to apply for or renew a vehicle licence.