Gambling, machines and lottery permits
If you want to run a betting office, race track, bingo club or adult gaming centre, you'll need a premises licence. We will not consider any applications for casinos in the district.
If you run a licensed premises (such as a bar or pub), a member's club, or a family entertainment centre, and wish to have gaming machines or activity on your premises, you will need to apply to us for a permit:
- If you run a licensed premises (pub, bar etc), with a premises licence, you are automatically entitled to have two gaming machines on your premises, but you will need to apply for a permit. You can also apply to have more than two gaming machines on your premises.
- If you run a members' club (like a working men’s club, rugby club, or British Legion), with a club premises certificate, you will need to apply for a club gaming or a club machine permit if you wish to have gaming machines or activity at your club.
- If you would like to run a family entertainment centre (with only Category D* machines on site), you will need to apply for a unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming permit. If you want other categories of gaming machines on your site, you will need to apply for a premises licence.
- If you would like to run prize gaming where the stakes/prizes are low and the the value of the prize is not determined by how much a player stakes or the number of people playing for the same prize, you will need to apply to us for a prize gaming permit.
If you want to run a small society lottery, and your principal office is based in Lichfield District, you do not need a licence/permit, but you do need to be registered with us. If you are a retailer who wants to apply for a National Lottery terminal, visit www.lotteryretailer.co.uk
* Category D: Maximum stake = 10p or 30p non-monetary / Maximum prize = £5 cash or £8 non-monetary. Download our table of machine categories.