Universal credit

Benefits replaced by universal credit

The following benefits are in the process of being replaced with a single monthly benefit payment, called universal credit:

  • Income support

  • Income-based job seekers allowance

  • Income-related employment support allowance

  • Housing benefit

  • Child tax credit

  • Working tax credit

If you receive one of these benefits and you have a change in circumstances, which means that you have to make a new claim for one of them, your housing benefit will be migrated to universal credit. When this happens, your housing benefit will stop and your housing costs will be paid together with your universal credit. You will be entitled to an additional two weeks’ housing benefit if you migrate onto universal credit on or after 11 April 2018.

Universal Credit will be paid:

  • five weeks after your claim

  • paid to a single person in the household

  • to your landlord, if they request that your housing costs are paid to them, where you may have difficulty managing your money, or you have rent arrears of 8 weeks or more.

Find out more about universal credit on gov.uk