Universal credit

Discretionary housing payments

If you are struggling to manage your money or you need debt advice, you should tell your personal advisor at the Jobcentre when you have your first interview.

They will be able to refer you to the appropriate person who will be able to give you money advice.

If you receive the housing costs element of universal credit and you are struggling to meet your rent payments, we may be able to pay you a discretionary housing payment to help top up your rent.

Find out more about discretionary housing payments.