Counselling and mental health support
Mental health crisis, emergency or breakdown
If yours or someone's life is at immediate risk always call 999.
If you feel unable to cope, are worried about your own mental health or someone you care for, call your local NHS urgent mental health helpline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0808 196 3002 (covers Stafford, Stone, Rugeley, Cannock, South Staffs, Lichfield, Burton, Uttoxeter, Tamworth). Visit the South Staffordshire urgent mental health helpline website for more information.
Alternatively, if you need urgent care but it’s not life-threatening, contact NHS 111 online service call 111, or visit your GP.
Other urgent support services
These services are free and offer confidential advice from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult:
- Call 116 123 to talk to Samaritans, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for a reply within 24 hours.
- Text "SHOUT" to 85258 to contact the Shout Crisis Text Line, or text "YM" if you're under 19.
- If you're under 19, you can also call 0800 1111 to talk to Childline. The number will not appear on your phone bill.
North Staffs Mind
North Staffs Mind is an independent mental health charity that has been providing services in and beyond North Staffordshire for over 40 years. The team deliver a range of trusted, specialist support to over 8,000 people every year. They believe that no one should face a mental health issue alone.
Local support groups
- Mind North Staffordshire - counselling, parent support and advice. Phone 01782 262 100 email email@example.com
- Changes - online recovery, wellbeing and peer support. Phone: 0798 343 7747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Men Unite - a group for men; find them on Facebook
- Staffordshire Network for Mental Health (Toolbox Project) - Supporting people with experience of mental illness and people at risk of mental ill health, and empowering them to take responsibility for their emotional health. You can contact them via phone: 07591 924728 or email: email@example.com
Support with specific issues
- Anxiety UK - Providing support if you have been diagnosed with an anxiety condition. Phone: 03444 775 774 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 10pm; Saturday to Sunday, 10am to 8pm).
- Bipolar UK - A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.
- Beat - A charity helping people affected by eating dissorders. Phone: 0808 801 0677.
- CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 15 to 35. Phone: 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight).
- Men's Health Forum - 24/7 stress support for men by text, chat and email.
- Mental Health Foundation - Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities.
- Mental health and money advice service - Free, impartial information, support and advice for people affected by mental health and money issues.
- No Panic - Voluntary charity offering support for sufferers of panic attacks and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Offers a course to help overcome your phobia or OCD. Phone: 0844 967 4848 (daily, 10am to 10pm). Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone provider's Access Charge
- OCD Action - Support for people with OCD. Includes information on treatment and online resources. Phone: 0845 390 6232 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm). Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone provider's access charge.
- OCD UK - A charity run by people with OCD, for people with OCD. Includes facts, news and treatments. Phone: 0333 212 7890 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
- PAPYRUS - Young suicide prevention society. Phone: HOPELINEUK 0800 068 4141 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 10pm, and 2pm to 10pm on weekends and bank holidays).
- Rethink Mental Illness - Support and advice for people living with mental illness. Phone: 0300 5000 927 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm)
- SANE - Emotional support, information and guidance for people affected by mental illness, their families and carers. SANEline: 0300 304 7000 (daily, 4pm to 10pm).
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS) - Support groups in and around Staffordshire to meet other people who have been bereaved by suicide to listen, share, ask questions and connect. In Lichfield District, Sarah on 07946 527 606, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- YoungMinds - Information on child and adolescent mental health. Services for parents and professionals. Phone: Parents' helpline 0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm).