Noise complaints

We will investigate complaints about ongoing/repeated noise - if it is affecting you at your home/business property, including:

  • Neighbourhood noise – such as repeated music, house/car alarms, DIY at unreasonable hours, barking dogs/other pet noise etc.
  • Noise from commercial premises – such as music, noisy customers, ventilation systems, alarms etc.
  • Noise from industrial/manufacturing premises – such as construction, demolition, alarms etc (guidance says that loud work, such as building work, should only take place from Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 7pm and on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm. Noisy work should not take place on Sundays and bank holidays)

We will not usually investigate noise complaints about:

  • Children playing.
  • One-off party or celebration.
  • Normal household noise during reasonable hours, such as washing machines and tumble driers, doors shutting, flushing toilets, footsteps, and talking.
  • Issues caused by houses having poor sound insulation.
  • Road traffic and rail noise. aircraft – find out more about aircraft noise.

We do not operate a 24 hour response to noise complaints. Our office is open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.

We recommend you contact the noisemaker before making a complaint. Contacting the noisemaker may resolve the problem more quickly and often leads to a better long term solution. If you are comfortable to do so – download our letter template.

We may also ask you to record/log the noise issue over a month in order to gather evidence for us to take action.

Make a noise complaint