Animal related licences

If your business involves animals, it is likely you will need a licence.

Businesses that need a licence include:

  • pet shops
  • animal boarding establishments  (commercial boarding kennels, catteries, home dog boarding, dog day care)
  • dog breeding establishments*
  • riding establishments
  • keepers and trainers of performing animals (certificate of registration current requirement)
  • zoos

The current animal welfare regulations came into effect in October 2018. If you have a licence under the previous regulations, your licence will remain in force for the remainder of its term. When you renew your licence, it will be made under the new regulations. 

You will also need a licence to keep dangerous or wild animals.

* If you are an individual breeding dogs, you will need a licence if you register as a business, or if you breed five or more litters of puppies in a year, and sell any of the puppies. Find out more on