Street naming and numbering
How are street names chosen?
Where possible names are chosen to reflect the history of the site or acknowledge the geography of the area, and not because they sound attractive.
- Names cannot be duplicated in the district
- Names of living people are not normally allowed
- Names that could be seen as advertising are not acceptable
- Suggested names need to be sufficiently unique to avoid confusion or misunderstanding
- Names that could be considered offensive will not be accepted
We encourage developers to suggest suitable names when they apply to us and then work with the local parish council to choose a name for any new roads.
Download our detailed guidance to find out more.