Organising a street party

Frequently asked questions

If the following apply, it is unlikely licences/permissions will be required:-

  • Street party is organised for and publicised to residents/neighbours only with less than 499 people
  • No entry fee charged
  • No commercial activity

Do we need insurance cover?

Most of the time we won't ask for public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. But where you or we insurance would be a good idea you might find it helpful to go to The Streets Alive website or The Big Lunch website for further advice. Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

We won't generally ask for a risk plan for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back-up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbecue etc.

Can we serve alcohol / do we need an alcohol licence?

If the street party is a private event, with residents/neighbours sharing drinks, a licence will not be required.

If the intention is for alcohol to be sold, you will need to apply for a Temporary Events Notice. This form costs £21.

We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded.

Do we need a permit to serve food?

No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren’t usually considered food businesses, so there are no forms to fill in. However, you must ensure that any food provided is safe to eat.

The FSA website provides more advice about Providing food at community and charity events | Food Standards Agency. The NHS website has practical tips on Preparing and cooking food safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform

If you want to sell food from the street, you may require a street trading licence. Find out more about street trading.

We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration - contact our licensing unit for more information on 01543 308066).

Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Will District Council officers be present to enforce the road closure?

It is the responsibility of the organiser to enforce the road closure, ensure the safety of all attendees and provide immediate access to emergency services if required. Council officers will not be present to enforce these points.

Do we need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Will Lichfield District Council provide barriers or refuse bins?

Unfortunately we are unable to assist with barriers or additional bins.