Your rights as a passenger
When you have hired a taxi or pre-booked a private hire vehicle you have certain rights:
- The driver must only charge the fare that is being shown on the meter unless the fare is agreed before the journey starts.
- The driver must comply with any instructions you give, such as the route.
- The driver must take you to your destination by the shortest route possible.
- The driver must not allow other passengers to share the vehicle without your agreement.
- When requested, the driver should assist in loading and unloading luggage and should also carry it to and from a house, station or place where you are picked up or set down.
- Drivers are required to offer you reasonable assistance to the car.