Apply for tree works

Apply to work on protected tree

Anyone can apply to carry out work on a protected tree. You can also apply for consent for trees that are not on your land, for example, to prune an overhanging branch from a neighbour's tree. Please ensure you do not begin work on the tree until we have granted permission.

Apply online

You can submit your application using our online portal which includes full guidance notes - you will receive a receipt of your application after submitting it.

Working on a tree without consent

If work is carried out on a tree protected by a tree preservation order or a tree in a conservation area, without consent, which damages or destroys the tree(s), you could face an unlimited fine if convicted in the magistrates court. 

In determining the amount of the fine, the court will take into account any financial benefit arising from the offence. For lesser offences that are unlikely to destroy a tree, you could be fined up to £2,500.

You will normally have to plant a replacement tree if the tree was cut down or destroyed.

Alternative ways to apply

You can submit applications by post or email, however it is a more complicated process, and we strongly recommend you apply online.

If you choose to apply by post or email, please follow the guidance notes on the Planning Portal website to ensure your application is accurate and complete. This will help us deal with your application more efficiently. In your application you must make sure you specify which tree is to be worked on, what you want to do and why.Please address your application to Planning Adming and email to Development Control or send to:

Planning Admin, Development Management, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YZ