Vote by proxy
If you are already registered to vote at your current address, you can apply to vote by proxy (which is where you appoint someone else to vote on your behalf) at an upcoming individual election, or at all future elections.
The deadline for applying to vote by proxy is 5pm on the sixth working day before an election. However, in some circumstances you can apply for an emergency proxy vote.
You can apply for a proxy vote if:
- You're unable to go to the polling station on election day, for example, you are away on holiday.
- You have a physical condition that means you can't go to the polling station on election day.
- Your employment means you can't go to the polling station on election day.
- Your attendance on an educational course means that you can't go to the polling station on election day.
- You are a British citizen living overseas.
- You are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces.
If you apply to vote by proxy in all future elections, you will need to have your application form signed by someone who supports your need for a proxy vote. For example, if you work away regularly, your employer may sign your form, or if you are unable to visit a polling station because of a disability, then your doctor may sign your form.
Download a vote by proxy application form.
You will be asked to provide a signature specimen and your date of birth, which are stored securely. If you are unable to sign in a consistent or distinctive way, perhaps because of a disability, you may be granted an exemption called a waiver.
Please return the completed form to:Elections team, Lichfield District Council, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YU