Skip to content

Disabled band reductions

If you, or someone who lives with you (adult or child), need extra space in your home for the use of a wheelchair, or have an additional bathroom, kitchen or other room to meet needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a disabled band reduction. 

This reduction ensures that no one pays more tax on account of space needed because of a disability.

Find out more below:

Back To Top

Who can apply?

If you have a substantial and permanent disability, or live with someone who does, you can apply for a disabled band reduction. The disabled person does not need to be registered disabled, but certain other criteria must be met (see below).

Back To Top


To qualify for a band reduction the applicant must meet the following criteria:

  • There must be at least one person who is substantially and permanently disabled living in the property. This can be an adult or a child. They do not have to be registered disabled or be receiving state benefits.
  • The person can be disabled by either illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise. We may ask your doctor to confirm the person is disabled.

One of the following must be provided in the property:

  • A second bathroom or kitchen needed by the disabled person.
  • A room other than a bathroom, lavatory or kitchen, used predominantly by the disabled person to meet the needs of their disability.
  • Room for and the use of a wheelchair indoors.
Back To Top

What reduction will you get?

If your home is in council tax bands B - H, the reduction you will receive will be one band lower than the one allocated to your property. For example, if you live in a band D property, you'll pay council tax for a band C property. If you live in a band A property your reduction will be calculated as one ninth of a band D council tax charge.

Back To Top

How to apply

The application must be made by the person who pays council tax at the property, which does not need to be the person who is disabled. To apply, download and fill in a disabled band reduction application form. Return your completed form to: Finance, Revenues & Benefits, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YX

Back To Top

A home visit

When we receive your application, we will arrange a home visit. After we visit you, we will let you know if your household is eligible and send you a revised council tax notice if it is. If you qualify successfully, we will ask you to confirm your situation has not changed every year. However, should any circumstances change, you must notify us immediately, as you may no longer qualify for the reduction.

Back To Top

Appeals process

If you do not qualify, we will notify you and explain the reasons why. You may appeal against our decision by writing to us at: Finance, Revenues & Benefits, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YX.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.