Help with your council tax bill

How to apply

If you receive/have applied for housing benefit, because we already have a lot of the details we need to process your claim for local council tax support.

You will just need to apply for another benefit and provide the following information:

  • Surname
  • Date of birth
  • National insurance number
  • Post code
  • Claim reference (of your housing benefit claim)

Apply for another benefit

If you don't get help towards your rent (or you claim the housing element of universal credit), you will need to fill in a new claim form to apply for local council tax support. This takes between 15 and 30 minutes to complete.

If you don’t have time to complete it in one go, you can save it and fill it in later (up to 10 days). If you decide to save it, you will be given a reference which you will need to keep safe, in order to return to your application.

Before you start your online application, please make sure you have the following information to hand:

  • Name, date of birth and address details
  • National insurance number for you (and your partner – if applicable)
  • Income and capital for you (and your partner – if applicable)
  • Income for other people that live with you (if applicable)
  • Your council tax account number, if you have one
  • Your evidence - see our evidence checklist

Make a new claim

Please read our full privacy notice before you make your application.

Please note: Our system is not available between 2am and 2.15am (Monday - Thursdays) and 2am and 4am (early Saturday mornings) allow for daily maintenance to take place. Please do not attempt to use this service between these times or you may lose your data.