Discretionary housing payments
How to apply
If you only want to apply for help with a rent deposit or rent in advance payment - download the rent deposit/advance application form.
If you want to apply in any other circumstance, please download and complete a discretionary housing payment application form.
Please email your completed from to [email protected]
- Please give as much information as you can when filling in your form and provide evidence where necessary.
- If you are in receipt of universal credit, you will need to provide a recent rent statement showing your current rent, a copy of the universal credit award letter showing the breakdown of your allowances, including the housing element, and a bank statement to show your account details for making any payment that may be awarded.
- Your request will be considered by a benefits team manager and he/she will write to you as soon as they have made a decision.
- If your application is successful, your discretionary payment will be included with your normal payment for housing benefit.
- The amount you receive and the length of time we will pay you a discretionary payments is subject to the council's own discretion.
You can ask for another discretionary housing payment if you can demonstrate you are making every effort to improve your circumstances. Payments may not be paid at the same level as any previous award. If you would like to make a renewal application, download and complete a shorter renewal application form. If you are applying at the start of the financial year (April), you will need to complete a full discretionary payment application form.
For more information or if you would like us to send you an application form, call the benefits team on 01543 308900.
You must tell us straight away if your circumstances change.