Discretionary housing payments

If you have been awarded housing benefits or universal credit (which includes an allowance for housing element), but are still struggling with your bills, you can ask us to consider giving you extra financial help, known as discretionary housing payments. 

There is no fixed rate for discretionary payments and all payments are calculated on your individual circumstances.

The most we can pay is the difference between the benefit you are already receiving and your eligible housing costs (see below). 

We may be able to help you with a rent deposit or rent in advance payment if you are renting from a private landlord. We can however help you with removal costs.

Discretionary payments are only given to those most in need and are paid entirely at the council's own discretion.