Disabled band reductions
If you, or someone who lives with you (adult or child), need extra space in your home for the use of a wheelchair, or have an additional bathroom, kitchen or other room to meet needs arising from a substantial and permanent disability, you may be entitled to a disabled band reduction.
This reduction ensures that no one pays more tax on account of space needed because of a disability.
To qualify for a band reduction the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- There must be at least one person who is substantially and permanently disabled living in the property. This can be an adult or a child. They do not have to be registered disabled or be receiving state benefits.
- The person can be disabled by either illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise. We may ask your doctor to confirm the person is disabled.
One of the following must be provided in the property:
- A second bathroom or kitchen needed by the disabled person.
- A room other than a bathroom, lavatory or kitchen, used predominantly by the disabled person to meet the needs of their disability.
- Room for and the use of a wheelchair indoors.
How to apply
The application must be made by the person who pays council tax at the property, which does not need to be the person who is disabled.
To apply, download and fill in a disabled band reduction application form. Please return your completed form to:Finance, Revenues & Benefits, District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YX
When we receive your application, we will arrange a home visit. After we visit you, we will let you know if your household is eligible and send you a revised council tax notice if it is. If you qualify, we will ask you to confirm your situation has not changed every year. If any of your circumstances change, you must notify us immediately, as you may no longer qualify for the reduction.