HMO licences

Licence exceptions

There are some exceptions to the licence requirements for properties owned or managed by public services, such as the police, fire service or NHS (a nursing home is not a HMO).

Other exceptions include properties owned or managed by a church, or owned and managed by an educational institution for the occupation of its students only.

If you intend to stop renting a property, or to reduce the number of occupants, then you may apply for a temporary exemption notice that lasts for a maximum of three months (instead of a full licence).

You may apply for a secondary notice after this period, however, if the issue is still not resolved after this notice runs out, then the property must be licensed or become subject to an interim management order.  

Find out more by contacting our private sector housing team on 01543 308714 or email