Private rented housing
Your rights as a tenant and how to get help
As a tenant, you have a right* to:
- live in the property undisturbed.
- live in a property in a good state of repair - find out how to make a private rented accommodation complaint if your landlord does not repair/maintain the property.
- access information about your tenancy at any time.
- protection from unfair eviction.
- protection from unfair rent, to challenge excessively high charges, and to have your deposit returned when your tenancy ends.
*We recommend you always keep up your rental payments as if you fail to pay rent or breach other terms of your tenancy agreement you can lose your legal rights as a tenant.
Problems with your landlord or tenancy
If you are living in a local privately rented property and need advice on your rights as a tenant, or need support with any issues with your landlord/tenancy, please contact our housing team.
We work to help you solve any housing problems and keep you in your home.