Private rented housing

If you have not been able to find a housing association home through Lichfield District Homes and rent, or are considering, renting privately, this section will help you to understand your rights.

As a tenant, you have a right* to:

  • live in the property undisturbed.
  • live in a property in a good state of repair - find out how to make a private rented accommodation complaint if your landlord does not repair/maintain the property.
  • access information about your tenancy at any time.
  • protection from unfair eviction.
  • protection from unfair rent, to challenge excessively high charges, and to have your deposit returned when your tenancy ends.

If you are living in a local privately rented property, need advice on your rights as a tenant, or support with any issues with your landlord/tenancy, please contact our housing team. We work to help you solve any housing problems and keep you in your home.

If you are thinking of moving into a house in multiple occupation (that is rented out to five or more people, who form two or more families, and who share facilities such as a bathroom, kitchen, sink or toilet) you need to make sure it has an HMO licence. View our HMO register.

* Always keep up your rental payments as if you fail to pay rent or breach other terms of your tenancy agreement you can lose your legal rights as a tenant.